Tuesday, March 20, 2007

10/3 – Highlights and lowlights

Today is a day of extremes. It starts of well enough. We take a narrow river boat on a trip to a small Patang village, and two other caves. The boat flies across the water, and it’s incredible to be on this river in the middle of the jungle, the sun beating down, water splashing up and the rainforest flying past around us. After 15 minutes we arrive at the village, which is built to give the originally nomadic Patang people a more permanent settlement. A handicraft market is set up to satisfy the tourists. It sells exactly the same stuff as souvenir shops in downtown Miri and Kuching; so far for original Patang handicraft.



Here the trouble starts. The food I had last night is not agreeing with me, and I need some privacy. There is none to be had here, so I have to tough it out. After a grueling 30 minutes we arrive at the next stop on the river, a walkway towards the Cave of the Winds and Clearwater Cave. I take my chance: everyone is going right towards the Cave of the Winds, which means there is some privacy to be found on the way to the Clearwater Cave.



After fertilizing the rainforest I rejoin the group, but I do feel very crappy. I don’t’ get much joy out of seeing the lovely formations of the Cave of the Winds, and the walk towards Clearwater Cave is an ordeal. Thankfully, there is a site here with benches and shade and a jungle pool where we will have a rest. I rest a bit, drink some tea and feel much better. I decide to tough it out once more and join the short trek to Clearwater Cave.





The Clearwater Cave system is the second-largest cave system in the world. It stretches for 200kms under the Borneo forest, many passages never visited by humans. We visit the entrance cave of the system, called the Ladies’ Cave. It’s named for the formations which are said to look like young ladies. With some imagination this can be said to be true, but one thing is certain: the cave is very impressive. Further in we come to Clearwater Cave itself, which is lighted by a wonderful skylight. The river runs through the cave, and deep at the bottom is a section in which one must bathe to become younger. Everybody splashes him or herself, but neither of us feels much younger. It does put us in the right state of mind though; after we get back to the lunch site most of the group change into swimming gear and has a big bunch of fun in the jungle pool. It’s paradise here.







We take the boat back to the resort, and I arrange the afternoon activity for eight of us: A canopy skywalk. We take the boardwalk into the forest again, and we arrive at the entrance of the skywalk. Up the stairs, and off we go. The skywalk is plank way, mashed together with wire and rope. It’s very strong of course, but when you’re 30 meters up in the air and the thing swings and creaks, you’re not so sure of that. Just don’t look down, but gawk at the wonderful scenery around you. The skywalk is hanging between trees, and the entire span is 540 meters long. It’s an amazing journey.







Getting back to the resort means a nice refreshing shower. After that I get a nice massage. Real cheap here and quite refreshing. I go together with Frank; my massage is given by a girl, but Frank is squeezed around by a guy. He enjoys it slightly less then I, methinks. After that we have some noodles at the cafe. We head off to the pool table to shoot some pool. I’m in strange form: I miss the easiest shots, but I make two fabulous shots. And yes, I planned them that way. The rest of the group is having fun in the bar, drinking loads of beer and playing poker without stakes. They switch to a dirnking game, and I join in, but I’m way behind. Everybody is very drunk already, and having loads of inane fun with each other. It’s interesting to see all this. I was never good at joining parties like this, and I figure I won’t catch up anymore. All these guys are two months out of college, and they haven’t forgotten that. When the bar closes and the beer is gone, the party moves to the swimming pool. We go into the jacuzzi, but it’s cramped with four people. It gets even more cramped with number five in it. When six and seven join us, I feel it’s time to bring it back to an even number, and I say goodbye.

2 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pretty pictures, creepy critters! Seen cool spiders yet? ;-)

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indiana!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home