Tuesday, March 20, 2007

11/3 – Fokker F50 lets us down

We leave for Miri today, but I plan to do some archery practice before we leave. I’m joined by Dabas, and then Simon, Bob and Tan join us too. When we arrive, Chia and Saritha show up as well, so my little plan turns into a nice group outing. The area is not very nice… muddy, and some of us are not good shots, and overshoot the target. Finding an arrow in the jungle is not all that easy.



Then it’s time to go. Bye bye Mulu Resort, and on to the airport. There bad news is waiting. The Fokker F50 that is supposed to take us back is having engine problems, and it’s not flying. Good thing I guess. We are bumped to the next flight, but that fits only six of us. The remaining eleven will follow later. Later then becomes much later, because other tourist with connections to Kuala Lumpur get priority. We have three hours to spare, so we go back to the hotel and hang around in the pool some more. Back at the airport, a tiny Twin Otter is waiting for us to take us back. Some people are not all that happy at the prospect of flying this little kite, but I’m very excited, I’ve never flown a plane this small. The weather is getting bad, so the ride could be bumpy.



We take off, and we fly low over Sarawak towards Miri. The little plane provides a great view of the jungle and the river snaking through it. We arrive at Miri around six. The evening is used to do a little shopping with Frank, Tan and Simon, and we enjoy a great dinner, a rather expensive meal at a Japanese restaurant. We get a private room, very nice. Will do that more often.

2 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, you had great Japanese food. *Now* I'm envious! Bring me some sushi when you get back; don't care how! ;-)

BTW Final Fantasy XII rulez the world. Who needs that PS3 (released this week in Holland, btw) when you've got FF XII and Okami for the PS2?!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Tako sent me the link to your blog site - you've done some pretty cool stuff and I'm very jealous that you get to do EP00 in Malaysia... Sorry, should probably introduce myself - I'm Natalie - I met you during my "get to know you meeting" in January and I have just started in the Project Services team in Sappemeer. I'm not going to do the EP00 course until June/July and it's in Rijswijk (although as I haven't been to Amsterdam or really explored Holland, it's still a bit different for me!)

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm very impressed with the blog. I visited Hong Kong and Bangkok as part of my SE Asia trip last summer so was especially interested to hear your thoughts about them. I personally thought the food was better in Bangkok - some of the street food was amazing! (although I'm not sure my friend would agree as he was quite violently sick after a dodgey Pad Thai...)

Enjoy the rest of your time out in Malaysia and I look forward to meeting you properly when you return (when is that?)

Natalie ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home